soooo…..here is the fun part of rescue

Posted: March 16, 2007 at 10:42 am

i guess we need a re-name theo contest. and just in case anyone thinks it will be a fair contest…just toss that idea right out of your head. as primary baby calf foster mom, i retain veto rights (i am not risking another “saint cuddles”, still retching and shuddering in my wheelchair over that one each time i have to say it)…anyway folks go to town..let’s see what kind of really great name we can come up with for the little guy. nicole will post pictures so you can see who he looks like.

38 Comments on "soooo…..here is the fun part of rescue"

• Deb says

Saint Nicostratus is one of the many patron saints of cattle. We could call the calf Nicky, and when he becomes a bullock, perhaps a slightly more manly “Nick”, in case he misses those things which separate the bulls from the bullocks.

• Caroline says

how about SAINT Hubert?

there are many patron saints of cattle???? hmmm, they really aren’t doing a very good job….are they on strike?

• Leila says

Okay, I know you won’t pick my name – cause people think the names I pick are wierd – but here would be my choice.

CAMLIN – It is a Celtic name which means crooked
    line.

I think it would be a good name for a SAINTS animal cause he probably took a “crooked line” to get to you. You could call him Cam or Cammy or Lin or Linny for short.

• Leila says

Okay I posted this once and it didn’t go through so let’s try again. Most people don’t like my choices in names cause they find them wierd so I won’t be offended if you don’t pick it. Here is my name choice:

CAMLIN – Celtic name meaning crooked line

I think it suits baby calf cause he probably took a “crooked line” to get to you – sort of meandered of the beaten path of where he would have ended up. You can call him Cam or Cammy or Lin or Linny for short.

• sheila says

CAMLIN – Celtic name meaning crooked line

Leila @ Sheila’s computer

• Shane says

My name for him would be “toby”.

• Jean says

Hey Deb, you stole my choice – for the same reason!
    Yes Carol, there are some really weird Saints of cattle – saints of cows, of sick cows, of cattle…..all with really weird names.

So, since Nick is already taken, I’ll suggest Zeke. Ezekial means “god make me stronger” – and we sure want that for our newest saint.

• Jean says

Here’s a link for the patron saints of animals, Carol. I think you can probably just copy it and paste it into your browser.

• Lynne says

I would like to throw a suggestion in as well. Since the last barn animal was named Ellie Mae, which I assume is from the Beverly Hillbillies, why not call this little boy Jethro.

• Deb says

If the calf becomes “Jethro”. Carol will become Granny. 🙂

I still like Nicky.

There are Patron Saints for a whole lot of animals! For cattle alone:

Brigid of Ireland
    Castorus
    Claudius
    Colman of Stockerau
    Cornelius
    Drogo
    Four Crowned Martyrs
    Nicostratus
    Perpetua
    Simpronian

And obviously there are way more Saints than causes. The Patron Saint of Joint Pain? The Patron Saint of Butlers? The Patron Saint of Sore Throats? I wonder whether there is a Patron Saint of Making up Stupid Causes for Patron Saints?

• Erica says

Woah Caroline, I was gonna say Herbert …but now that I say – erm – type it out loud? Herbert sounds kinda silly 😐

• Deb says

Of course, you could call him Ferdinand the Bullock, in honour of the Disney Bull who was a lover, not a fighter, and preferred smelling flowers to any other activity. Sounds like a Saints steer to me.

• Jezebel says

I quite like Jethro…. 🙂

I also like Cosmo, Hamish, Arlo, & Miles Davis.

• Caroline says

for those of us who are transplants from out East , Saint Hubert is a wonderful CHICKEN restaurant chain. Since he was essentially saved from becoming dinner I thought it would be fun to name him Saint Hubert.
    He looks soooooo cute, those eyes are some kinda dreamy!!

• Dana says

what about the name Oliver? I think it’s such a cute name. I originally showed this calf to my parents on the Island but they dont have enough acreage for a cow plus our horses. I am SO happy he found a home!!

• Jezebel says

I have been to St. Hubert in Quebec; I’m just not sold on the idea of naming a calf after a rottisserie chicken.

• Rae says

He looks like quite a little Toad….you could call him “Toad” a very affectionate name I think!!!1

• Nicole says

no one ever likes my names, but oh well:
    dylan (mckay, from BH90210)
    mason
    Marty
    Jake
    Mac
    Aidan
    Danny or Denny
    Edmund or Dante

• Colleen says

Swaraj – liberty, freedom ( Raj…make the “a” as in aw, soft “j” )

Ajay – unconquerable, invincible ( pronounced awjay…soft ‘j’ )

Jagadeep — light of the world ( Jag )

Raj — king

Monty….cause he has Montgomery Clift’s eyes!

Gage…because he’s so engaging 🙂

• Christine says

Well, I was going to suggest Nickodemus, but Nicky has already been suggested. Other suggestions…lets see

Torro (for obvious reasons)
    Grazer (my 8 year old son’s suggestion)
    Bronco
    Hershey (chocolate)
    Ah Fudge (Fudgey or Fudger for “short”)
    Braddick (my 9 year old daughter’s suggestion)

Ok, that’s all I have for now. Naming new animals is fun!

• Jean says

I love the Jethro suggestion! 🙂

It suits him! Ellie Mae and Jethro! LOL!!

• hilary says

When my brother rescued his first cow, his wife said “oh but that one does look “poorly”, and the name stuck.

I just like the sound of it.

Hilary

• Jezebel says

Jethro! Jethro! Jethro!

• Faith says

Alfalfa
    Bullwinkle
    Curly
    Hershey
    Maverick
    Moofasa

• Janice says

I suggested Jed as they both struck texas tea but it was deleted somehow??

maybe chris was trying to delete 2 of sheila/leila’s 3 identical posts and nailed you janice instead?

mo bought me dinner tonight as a bribe for opening the theo name for review…just so you know, i can easily be bought folks and food is the best bribe of all (i have lived with far too many dogs, for far too long)

i wonder what sheila and leila will feed me for considering camlin the cow as a name? (altho i quite like the crooked line meaning, that’s a pretty deep image behind the name)

• vadie says

I love the name Jethro 🙂

coloring between the crooked lines

i was a crooked babe
    and i walked a crooked line
    through the darkness of fear and sorrow.
    i followed the crooked path
    through that lonely crooked hollow
    and i thought i would forever roam.
    then i came upon another crooked line,
    with very many crooked beasts
    and i colored my own true crooked home.

crap! maybe his name is camlin. i like theo better.

• Chris T says

I didn’t delete or change anything. By the way I think this thread takes the record for the most posts!

• Donna says

I like the name “Toby” or “Zeke”

• Carole D says

I’m an outsider who often reads the blog, so perhaps shouldn’t have a say but the name Jethro really appeals to me for the calf. Don’t worry Carol, you already have a Granny in the sheep. Next choices would be Toby, Zeke or Nick.

When do we get to see pictures of Ellie? And was I imagining it or was there a picture of Petunia under barn animals a few days ago that has since disappeared?

Good Luck to all of you on this wet and cool weekend and thanks for all you do for the animals.

you are only an outsider carole til you start knowing who is who, then all of a sudden you are stuck right in the middle of the never ending story! welcome.

as to theo’s name which i happened to pick and i happen to like ALOT….we can all go whistle in the wind…mo has picked “percy” and since it is of critical importance to our barn well being (and nicole and i more specifically cuz we brought percy in) that mo love that calf above and beyond the worries and concerns of something called “field management”…so mo picked percy and since we are not a democracy but a blatantly bribery based operation…theo is now officially “percy”

saints welcomes percy!

• Deb says

As in Percy Sledge. I can dig that.

When I met that beautiful little guy this morning.. he told me his name.. I’m not sure if his Mama gave him that name, but that is what he wisperered to me when I stood still & listened to him. What a wondeful boy he is & I can’t wait to get to know him.

and lets not kid ourselves… if Carol didn’t like the name Percy.. he wouldn’t have have it, even if I did attempt to bribe her with dinner ; – )

sigh…i always get busted. but thx for dinner anyway…good thing you didn’t pick marvin or your dinner bribe would have been completely wasted.

• Colleen says

Percy is a great name… He looks like a Percy! You have great listening skills Mo. 🙂

Some of the names I was thinking of were names from an Indian name book my son Kelly and DIL Sumeet gave me to peruse. Thinking of the sacred cattle of India and a grandbaby to be soon. :)The grandbaby mostly. hehehe.

• Janice says

Percy is a short form of the first name Percival.
    Percy meaning “Piercing the valley”

Percival or Perceval is one of King Arthur’s legendary Knights of the Round Table. In Welsh literature his name is Peredur (see the Peredur article for the historical figure). He is most famous for his involvement in the quest for the Holy Grail

Mo is a good listener…