dreams of who we want to be.

Posted: February 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

when i was young…a long time ago. i so wanted to be scarlett o’hara’s mother (melanie wilkes was my second choice)…kind, giving, gentle…a real lady…soft, generous and genteel.
i thought scarlett was a spoiled rotten hag.

as i have matured, i have accepted the fact that genteel lady-hood is a thousand miles and one hundred years away from me….and i have learned enough about life to know that scarlett had her good points…strength, loyalty and determination (but no one liked her much.)

i am probably more like scarlett…but instead of saying a polite yet scoffing…”fiddle-dee-dee”…i am more likely to say…”grab a freaking brain.”

sigh..i grew up to be honest, loyal and blunt…hmmph…i was aiming for something different…i kind of flew off the lady-like mark!

who did you want to be like when you grew up?…and who did you actually become more like in the end?

7 Comments on "dreams of who we want to be."

• Jenn says

haha well that is funny because I always favored scarlett even though she was selfish and spoiled. I admired her toughness and smarts. But I can’t think of anyone in particular I wanted to be. There were people I admired–Diane Fose for example, but I never wanted to be her. I wanted to make my own way and become my own person — I guess you taught me that.

• Hillevi says

I always admired Audrey Hepburn. In adulthood; however, I am blunt and to the point. Sometimes I don’t even realize it, but if someone wants an honest opinion they usually come to me. (sigh)

• Shady says

I don’t remember who I wanted to be when I grew-up but now that I’m here, I’m definitely not a lady. I’m more Scarlett than her mom too. And that’s ok by me.

• Shelley says

I wanted to be The Bionic Woman. Seriously.

lol shelley…i thinik we all did!

• Jane Stanley says

I wanted to be Sal Mineo’s character in Exodus (Dov Landau), or Mahatma Ghandi – but I turned out to be like my mother.

• Carol Ann says

When I was growing up I wanted to be a Mom–achieved that 4 times—now that i am old I just wanna be useful and self sufficient–so far so good–I too am blunt and painfully honest –maybe that’s what it takes to be involved in rescue ?