The value of a life of service

Posted: September 8, 2006 at 9:06 pm

Copper escaped on me tonight, I have been up and down the road and I can’t find him. I am worried he may run into coyotes before he decides he has had enough adventure and returns to home. Phoebe upon my return was angry that I left her behind so she flew off the handle at Rocky and now his little feelings are hurt. I was so mad at her that she is sitting out in the yard, quietly watching me at the computer thru the cat run fence. She knows she has upset me, and for once she is silent as she wonders how long it will take for me to forgive. Cole is being pissy, he has been bugging and bullying Tally and Saul as if all of a sudden he has something against white dogs. And tonight, I am not in the mood for any of it.

One of my friends and fellow nurses is finishing her life tonight. Her’s was a lifetime of service, caring for others in their time of need. I think doctors and nurses and police officers and firemen and others carry a heavy burden in life. They are the reluctant keepers of our wellbeing. They risk alot in caring for us. The personal and keenly felt burdens of human error, of human fatique, of human caring with superhuman hearts but with frail human minds and bodies. They carry on past the triumphs and the failures and they find their courage in their flawed humanity to provide service to others. Tonight my friend and mentor, will take her last breath on earth and with that breath the earth should sigh at the loss of one more good and pure, courageous heart. There are not enough of those whose lives are spent in service, this world is filling with those who only know self-serve. I don’t know how you teach others the true joy in giving, but I do know that when my friend passes, she knows she lived a life worth while.

I guess I better go back out and look for the beagle.

Have a safe and gentle journey my friend.

12 Comments on "The value of a life of service"

copper is home.

• Rae says

Now you can rest your delinquent is home.

• Chris says

Oh Carol. I’m so very sorry about your friend.
    I never know what the right thing to say at a time like this is. But please know I am thinking about you, and her, tonight.

Glad to hear Copper is back home. Little monkey!

• Judy B says

Carol – so sad to hear about your friend, may she rest in peace and enjoy her life on the other side.

• Jean says

Carol, I’m so sorry. My thoughts are with you and with your friend.

I’m very sorry to hear that your friends time has come, I’ve lit a candle & spent a moment thinking about your friend and the words in your post.

• Julie says

Your friends life touched many people my friend, as yours does. You honor her life by remembering her….

Artist: Josh Groban
    Song: Remember

Remember, I will still be here
    As long as you hold me, in your memory

Remember, when your dreams have ended
    Time can be transcended
    Just remember me

I am the one star that keeps burning, so brightly,
    It is the last light, to fade into the rising sun

I’m with you
    Whenever you tell, my story

Remember, I will still be here
    As long as you hold me, in your memory
    Remember me

I am the one voice in the cold wind, that whispers
    And if you listen, you’ll hear me call across the sky

As long as I still can reach out, and touch you
    Then I will never die

Time can be transcended
    I live forever
    Remember me

Remember me
    Remember… me…

• Chris Thomas says

Carol – my thoughts are with you and your friend. I hope all was peaceful.

• Deb says

Carol, be kind and gentle with your own beautiful heart. Nurses do carry a much heavier burden than most, and I think the realities of the ending of life are so much more clear for you and others who have chosen your calling.

Your mentor and friend has earned rest. You have earned some peace, I hope you can find the time to enjoy it.

Yit-gadal v’yit-kadash sh’mey raba, b’alma di v’ra hirutey, vyam-lih mal-hutey b’ha-yey-hon uv’yomey-hon uv’ha-yey d’hol beyt yisrael ba-agala u-vizman kariv, v’imru amen.
    Y’hey sh’mey raba m’varah l’alam ul’almey alma-ya.

Yit-barah v’yish-tabah v’yit-pa-ar v’yit-romam v’yit-na-sey v’yit-hadar v’yit-aleh v’yit-halal sh’mey d’kud-sha, b’rih hu, leyla* min kol bir-hata v’shi-rata tush-b’hata v’ne-hemata da-amiran b’alma, v imru amen.

Y’hey sh’lama raba min sh’ma-ya, v’ha-yim aleynu v’al kol yisrael, vimru amen.

Oseh shalom bim-romav, hu ya-aseh shalom aleynu v’al kol yisrael, v’imru amen.

Trackbacks